Helsinki City marathon RELAY
The Helsinki City Marathon Relay is a great way to share the atmosphere of the Garmin Helsinki City Marathon in a team! Share the marathon route with 4 runners and participate in the relay. The Helsinki City Marathon Relay follows the route of the marathon with legs of 8, 15, 7 or 12 kilometers.REGISTER
time to start
Helsinki City Marathon Relay Info
The bib numbers of all team members need to be picked up at the same time (all bib numbers are in the same envelope). Bib numbers need to be picked up from the Race Office at the Olympic Stadium during its opening hours on Friday or on Saturday. Any team member can pick up the bib numbers.
Please check the Race Office opening hours from the general info.
Note! Helsinki City Marathon Relay bib numbers must be picked up latest by 8:30 a.m. on Saturday 14th of May, 2022.
Helsinki City Marathon Relay 2022 entry fees:
post-registration 280 €/team, 70 €/person
Entry fees include an event t-shirt for all team members.
All rights to changes reserved.
If you register one relay team for the race and pay for it right away, please choose “Individual and relay entry” and then “Helsinki City Marathon Relay”.
You can also register a team at first, and then add the team members later on to the registration. Team members can be added and changed until the race day. The cancellation insurance is not available for the Marathon Relay.
If you want an invoice for your registration or you want to register several teams at once, please register your team/teams by choosing “Team Entry” and then “Create a team”.
Each team member of Helsinki City Marathon Relay receives a Helsinki City Running Day finisher medal at the Olympic Stadium finish area. Please keep the bib number with you, because only runners with bib numbers are allowed to enter the Olympic Stadium finish area.
Three (3) top relay teams will be awarded. Awarded teams must pick up their prizes from the Race Office at the race day.
The route is the same as for the Helsinki City Marathon (see the route map below).
The start is located next to the Paavo Nurmi statue at Mäntymäentie. The finish line and Expo area is located at the Helsinki Olympic Stadium.
The Marathon Relay legs are 8, 15, 7 and 12 km. The transition areas are located at Merisatamanranta, Kaivopuisto (8 km), close to Eläintarha sports field (23 km), and at Pohjoiskaari, Lauttasaari (30 km). The transition areas are placed at locations to which it is easy to travel by public transportation. The transition area close to Eläintarha sports field is on a walking distance from the Olympic Stadium/Expo area. There is no arranged transportation to the transition areas, but tickets to the Helsinki public transporation is included in the entry fee for the two middle leg team runners. Portable toilets are available on the transition areas.
The start time for the first runner (1st leg) of the Marathon Relay is 9:30 a.m. at the Mäntymäentie (next to the Paavo Nurmi statue). The relay runners will be gathering at the starting area together with Helsinki City Marathon runners.
Runners need to transfer themselves independently to the transition areas by public transportation. Please make sure that you reserve enough time for transferring yourself to your transition area!
Refreshment stations can be found along the Helsinki City Marathon route. At the finish area, there is a more extensive station with a variety of refreshments. All team runners are welcome to take part of the refreshments at the finish area.
The transition areas are clearly marked at the route. The next leg runner will wait for her/his team member to approach at the transition area. The exchange between the runners take place with a baton which the event organizer has handed over to the team together with the bib numbers.
The finish area is located at the Helsinki Olympic Stadium. All team members can run together through the marathon port and cross the finish line together.
All rights to changes reserved.
The timing system works with a bib tag attached to the baton that the team carries with them. The team runs a joint time. The Marathon Relay will have split times each 10 kilometers, just like the marathon event. The teams progress can be followed with the Ultimate Live result app.
Bib numbers and baton
1. Each relay runner will have her/his own bib number (race number) attached to the front of her/her shirt
2. There is no timing chip attached to the relay runners’ bib numbers
3. All bib numbers of a team are collected in one envelope, from where you can also find:
4. A single-use relay baton, which has a timing chip attached to it. Runners need to assembly (roll) the baton themselves prior to the race.
See an example of the baton from the DHL relay in Copenhagen here.
All rights to changes reserved.
Runners of leg 2, 3 and 4 need to move themselves to their respective transition area in good time before the start of their own leg. Runners need to reserve enough time to transfer themselves to their transition area! The middle leg team runners will get public transport tickets when the bib numbers are picked up. Please find more information about the public transportation alternatives from: https://www.hsl.fi/en
The exchange between team runners takes places by handing over a baton to the next runner. Each team will have an own baton which includes a chip for the timing.
1ST TRANSITION AREA (8 K)
Merisatamanranta (Kaivopuisto) The street name: Merisatamanranta
2ND TRANSITION AREA (23 K)
The north side of Eläintarha sports field (Eläintarhan urheilukenttä) at the street: Nordenskiöldinkatu
This transition area is located on a walking distance to and from the Olympic Stadium.
3RD TRANSITION AREA (30 K)
Lauttasaari (at the street): Pohjoiskaari. The area is located just before the Maamonlahti bridge)
4TH FINISH AREA (OLYMPIC STADIUM)
All relay team members are welcome to cross the finish line together with their last runner (runner of 4th leg) of the team. Please note, that all team runners must wear their bib number for crossing the finish line.
1. All bib numbers of a team need to be picked up at the same time from the Race Office during its opening hours on Friday or Saturday latest by 08:30 a.m. The bib numbers of all team members as well as the relay baton are collected in the same envelope. Any team member can pick up the team envelope.
2. The numbering can be e.g., 1 15001, 2 15001, 3 15001, 4 15001, in such an order that the runner of the first leg has A on her/his bib number, the second runner B, etc.
3. All other team runners (than first leg runners) need to move themselves to their respective transition area to wait for their team runner to arrive. Team members need to move to their transition areas independently by using public transportation. Please remember to agree with your arriving team runner when her/his estimated arrival times is at your transition area. The exchange between runners takes place with the relay baton.
4. We recommend all relay runners to be in good time at the transition areas.
5. There is no storage for valuables at the transition areas. Please agree with your team members on how you are going to transport your belongings between each other during the race.
6. Runners of leg 1, 2 and 3 should return from the transition area to the Olympic Stadium through the marathon port (the same access than all the other runners) to get their medals and refreshments at the finish area. This year, team members can cross the finish line at the same time, as the timing chip is attached to the relay baton which is carried by the last (leg) runner. In case other relay team members want to access the finish area before the last (leg) runner has arrived, please enter the finish area either through the marathon port or through the entrance for discontinuing runners.
All team members must have their bib numbers attached to their shirts to enter the finish area!
All runners receive a gear check bag from the Race Office when picking up the bib numbers and running package. The bag drop area is located at the northern stadium square (Olympic Stadium). The bag drop is open on the race day from 8.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. (18.30 hrs).
There won’t be any bag drop areas at the transition areas. Each team will take care of their team members’ belonging during the race.
All rights to changes reserved.
HELSINKI CITY MARATHON RELAY ROUTE 2021
The Marathon Relay legs are 8, 15, 7 and 12 km. The transition areas are located at Merisatamanranta, Kaivopuisto (8 km), close to Eläintarha sports field (23 km), and at Pohjoiskaari, Lauttasaari (30 km). The finish area is located at the Helsinki Olympic Stadium. All team members can run together through the marathon port and cross the finish line together.
Click the map to get better view of it.
NOTE: If you register one relay team for the race and pay for it right away, please choose “Individual entry” and then “Helsinki City Marathon Relay”. If you want an invoice for the registration or you want to sign up more teams at a time, please choose “Create a team”.
THE entry FEE INCLUDES
- Participation to the event for four persons
- Refreshment points along the route and at the finish area for the whole team
- Finisher medal to all team members
- International result service UltimateLIVE
- Timing for the team
- Printable diploma via result system
- Bag drop at event area
- Gear bag for every runner
- First aid on the route and at the finish
- Transfer service for discontinuing runners (TaksiHelsinki)
- Tickets for public transportation
- Free training twice per month (in Helsinki area)
- High-quality running t-shirt (value 24,90 €) for each team member